21.10.04

Squat

Yesterday evening I went to a squat near my son's school, to start learning puppet making... I've only made paper/cardboard puppets, and ofcourse easy glove puppets (socks, felt, etc) but this girl is teaching how to make foam puppets. The ones she makes are beautiful, great characters.

I went with Hugo, so this was his first experience at a squat. With his background, he adapts to most adults/semiadults, so that's no problem, though he was deeply intrigued by the building itself, and all the youngsters passing by, and the deco...

I told him a bit about the squat movement, the idea behind it -yeah, Joan would be pissing himself if he heard me telling him about globalization and how Real Estate owners prefer to keep a building empty and unused to let people use it, while repairing it and giving it social uses too...

Then I started telling him about Can Bardina, and the friends I had there, how I used to hang out there in the late 80s, together with various people who are now more-or-less well known artists: djs of local fame, catalan poets who make the news, musicians, dancers...

Yeah, it feels good to get back among young squatters... even if it's once a week, for a workshop!

1 comentario:

Okok dijo...

Hey, bith Hugo and me are into the puppet-making mood now... and not only that, we're planning more manual/artistic stuff to do soon... that shall be reviewed in due time!